On the eve of the game with Bayern, the press office of Shaktar Donetsk phoned the club’s former player Henrikh Mkhitaryan, who shared his expectations of the Pitmen’s upcoming game in the last 16 of the Champions League.
“Glad to hear you! It is very nice that you do not forget about me. I remember about Shakhtar too. I watch the team’s games both in the domestic league and European competitions. By the way, I have just watched an episode about how the guys are preparing for the match with Bayern, “Mkhitaryan said in an interview.
– Henrikh, what do you think of this match-up?
– First, every game starts at 0-0. I’m sure that Mircea Lucescu’s team have all the chances to beat Bayern. Shakhtar are a great team with decent players. Plus, this year they didn’t enjoy a very good start. But in any case, Bayern are Bayern! If the Pitmen play the way they are capable of, Bayern will have a lot of problems.
– What game are expecting from Bayern?
– Bayern are a very unpredictable team. So you cannot tell how they will operate. Because they have 22 players of equal quality.
– Shakhtar have never faced Bayern. You have, and you have also scored against them, despite the fact that Manuel Neuer is now one of the best goalkeepers in the world…
– (Laughs.) Shakhtar have everything to upset him! We could mention skilful Brazilians. Yes, Neuer is one of the best players in the world. But first and foremost he is a human – just like all of us.
– It is realistic for Shakhtar to play attacking football against Bayern?
– This is the game that I expect from Shakhtar! During all those years that I have played for the club, and now the Pitmen have one feature: they are not used to play defensive football. Therefore, I hope that the guys will demonstrate their football. I’m sure that Shakhtar won’t be put on the back foot by Bayern.