As Liverpool have identified Shakhtar Donetsk’s Henrikh Mkhitaryan as a leading transfer target for the summer and are not deterred by the £22m price tag, SoccerLens presents five key facts about the Armenian midfielder.
1) He was one of the highest scoring midfielders in Europe last season, bagging 25 goals and ten assists from all performances in the Ukrainian league.
2) Mkhitaryan has 36 caps for Armenia at international level with ten goals. He’s also represented his country at Under-17, Under-19 and Under-21 level.
3) He has won Armenia’s Player of the Year award back-to-back over 2011 and 2012. He also won the award in 2009.
4) His record of team honours is quite prolific for a player of such a young age. In total he’s won 14 trophies with senior clubs Pyunik Yerevan and Shakhtar Donetsk.
5) He is well connected in the world of professional football, as his mother works for the Armenian Football Federation and his sister works at UEFA.