Lionel Messi has revealed that Argentina’s players will boycott media duties following accusations made against attacker Ezequiel Lavezzi, Goal.com reports.
Lavezzi is taking legal action after a journalist suggested he was left out of the squad because he had been smoking cannabis.
Messi inspired Argentina to their 3-0 World Cup qualifying win over Colombia on Tuesday with a stunning free kick and two assists.
Afterwards, the captain announced the players would no longer be speaking to the press.
“We have made the decision to not speak to the media anymore – obviously you know why,” Messi said.
“We’ve had a lot of accusations, a lack of respect and we haven’t said anything but I believe that this overtakes everything.
“The accusation against Pocho [Lavezzi] is very serious because if it is made and we don’t say anything, the people believe it.
“So, because a lot of the people believe everything that is said, we prefer to cut it off. We are very sorry that it has to be this way but there is no other option.”
The victory, which ended a four-match winless run, saw Argentina jump into fifth in Conmebol qualifying.