TripAdvisor announced the winners of its Travellers’ Choice awards for Destinations on the Rise today. The awards highlights 52 spots around the world that have seen the greatest increase in positive feedback and interest from the TripAdvisor community, year-over-year. Lists were unveiled for World, Asia, Europe, South America, South Pacific and the United States.
Southeast Asian destinations dominate the awards for places to see in 2015 with the rapidly developing Da Nang, Vietnam named top destination on the rise in Asia and the world. Other winners include Sihanoukville, Cambodia which ranks second in Asia and the world while Ao Nang, Thailand ranks third in Asia and fourth in the world.
Award-winners were determined using an algorithm that primarily measured the year-over-year increase in positive TripAdvisor traveller review ratings on accommodations, restaurants, and attractions, across destinations worldwide.
Travellers’ Choice Destinations on the Rise — Asia:
- Da Nang, Vietnam — 122 Hotels, 203 Restaurants, 74 Attractions
- Sihanoukville, Cambodia — 53 Hotels, 197 Restaurants, 61 Attractions
- Ao Nang, Thailand — 87 Hotels, 157 Restaurants, 78 Attractions
- Naha, Japan — 102 Hotels, 1,059 Restaurants, 82 Attractions
- Malé, Maldives — 38 Hotels, 89 Restaurants, 24 Attractions
- Baku, Azerbaijan — 92 Hotels, 51 Restaurants, 213 Attractions
- Leh, India — 51 Hotels, 53 Restaurants, 52 Attractions
- Kandy, Sri Lanka — 50 Hotels, 73 Restaurants, 75 Attractions
- Yerevan, Armenia — 50 Hotels, 279 Restaurants, 73 Attractions
Yerevan has been the capital of Armenia since 1918. The city is immensely rich in history, having been under Arab, Ottoman, Persian and Soviet rule in the past. TripAdvisor reviewers recommend a visit to The Museum of Ancient Manuscripts for “excellent display of many Armenian documents going back over a thousand years.” For a taste of Armenian cuisine with a French twist, travellers should not miss The Club Yerevan.
10. Rishikesh, India — 40 Hotels, 68 Restaurants, 66 Attractions
The complete list of Destinations on the Rise award winners, as well as reviews and candid traveller photos can be viewed here. — December 2, 2014.
TripAdvisor is an American travel website providing reviews of travel-related content. It also includes interactive travel forums.
TripAdvisor was an early adopter of user-generated content. The website services are free to users, who provide most of the content, and the website is supported by an advertising business model.