Iran has insisted its satellite-bearing rocket did not violate the nuclear deal, but western nations disagree, Deutsche Welle reports. They have said last month’s launch was a ‘threatening and provocative step.’
Germany, France, Britain and the US jointly condemned Iran’s July 27 satellite launch in a letter to the United Nations sent Wednesday.
The allies said Iran’s rocket launch was inconsistent with the terms of the nuclear pact signed by Iran in July 2015.
“The Simorgh is a space launch vehicle that, if configured as a ballistic missile, would have a range of well over 300 kilometres (185 miles) and has enough payload capacity to carry a nuclear warhead,” the letter to the UN Security Council read.
The letter was sent by US Ambassador Nikki Haley on behalf of the four countries.
Haley posted a copy of the letter on Twitter.
The rocket was the country’s most advanced satellite-carrying rocket to date, marking the most significant step forward for Iran’s young space program. Tehran’s launch was followed by the US imposing sanctions on six companies that Washington said were linked to the missile program.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif denied on Friday that his country had missiles designed to carry nuclear warheads.
The ministry said on Saturday that it will continue “with full power” its missile program and accused the US administration of seeking to weaken the nuclear deal. US President Donald Trump has often condemned the nuclear deal with Iran, which has been defended by US allies.