The City of Glendale will host its Annual Armenian Genocide Commemorative Event on Monday, April 24 at 7 p.m., at the Alex Theatre. This year’s theme, “The Armenian Experience Through the Lens,” celebrates the 100th anniversary of Armenian cinema, as declared by the Armenian Ministry of Education, Science, Culture, and Sport.
This year’s program will consist of curated segments to educate and inform attendees. The program will commence with a tribute to the ongoing atrocities in Artsakh, reflecting our commitment to raising awareness of humanitarian crises. Additionally, the event will feature a preview of Armenia’s submission to the 2023 Oscars Best International Film category, “Aurora’s Sunrise.” The city will welcome Joe Manganiello, a celebrated actor, producer, director, published author, and Emmy-winning voice actor, as our keynote speaker. During his speech, Joe will discuss intergenerational trauma, drawing from his familial history and the story of his maternal great-grandmother, Terviz “Rose” Darakijan, who survived the Armenian Genocide.
From Sunday, April 16 to Tuesday, April 25, Glendale will observe the Week of Remembrance, featuring satellite events and screenings across the city to honor the memory of those who perished and recognize the resilience of those who survived. A comprehensive list of events is available below.
Week of Remembrance Events:
- Sunday, April 16: Glendale Arts + American Film Society Present Celebrating 100 Years of Armenian Cinema: Feature Film Screening of Vigen Chaldranyan’s “Alter Ego“; 7 p.m. at AMC Americana at Brand 18;
- Monday, April 17: Slam Poetry Night; 7 p.m. at Brand Library Recital Hall;
- Wednesday, April 19: Armenian Film Society presents a Q&A with Inna Sahakyan, Director of “Aurora’s Sunrise“; 7 p.m. at Glendale Central Library’s Auditorium;
- Thursday, April 20: Film screening of “Songs of Solomon”; 7 p.m. at AMC Americana at Brand 18 (Tickets coming soon);
- Monday, April 24: The Armenian Experience Through the Lens, Glendale’s Annual Armenian Genocide Commemorative Event; 6 p.m. at The Alex Theatre;
- Tuesday, April 25: Film screening of “The Other Side of Home”; 7:30pm The Alex Theatre.