The Democratic Party of Artsakh and the European Free Alliance have adopted a joint declaration. In the declaration co-signed by Mr. François Alfonsi, President of European Free Alliance, and Mr. Ashot Ghulyan, President of Democratic Party of Artsakh, the parties agree to work together to contribute to a peaceful settlement of the conflict between Nagorno Karabakh and Azerbaijan, with the direct participation of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic and on the basis of peoples’ right to self-determination, excluding any sort of agression or violence.
The full text of the declaration is below:
- Taking note of the realisation by the people of Artsakh (the Nagorno Karabakh Republic) of its right to live in freedom and the European Free Alliance’s (hereinafter EFA) support of this democratic strive based on the principle of self-determination;
- Acknowledging that despite the isolation, the democratic processes in the Nagorno Karabakh Republic have been successful and sustainable and are vividly manifested in the free, fair and competitive elections that have become an inseparable part of Artsakh’s political culture;
- Welcoming the substantial democratic progress of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic and the contribution of the Democratic Party of Artsakh (hereinafter DPA) that has been key to the implementation of a well-functioning European-inspired development model based on: fundamental freedoms; democracy; separation of powers; rule of law; sustainable peace.
- Stressing the commitment of both EFA and the DPA to European values and principles, as well as to a sustainable peace in the South Caucasus.
- Considering that the EU Institutions have on numerous occasions acknowledged the need to promote democratic values and peaceful cooperation in its neighbourhood and recognised the EU’s particular importance in this domain, EFA and DPA are committed to encouraging a greater involvement of the EU with the society of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic;
- Recognizing that the DPA and many of the EFA affiliated parties face similar challenges in terms of their fundamental freedoms, and in particular the right to decide on their own future, being acknowledged by the EU and the international community;
- Sharing a firm conviction that the established relationship should be considered in terms of mutual benefit, where the undersigning parties can be envisaged as substantial contributors and reliable partners in promoting basic European values and principles; thus, having a positive impact throughout the region.
EFA and DPA agree to associate aiming at:
- Sharing the experience of the independence process of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic, achieving its sovereignty through democratic and peaceful means, to EFA and its member parties;
- Engaging the Nagorno Karabakh Republic in international processes, as well as, in the EU Institutions and bodies, and facilitating the participation of Karabakh representatives in those fora, backing to its international recognition;
- Contributing to a peaceful settlement of the conflict between Nagorno Karabakh and Azerbaijan, with the direct participation of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic and on the basis of peoples’ right to self-determination, excluding any sort of agression or violence;
Therefore, EFA and the DPA reiterate full dedication to being worthy and suitable partners in the Nagorno Karabakh Republic and in the European Union.