The Israeli military announced an end to the truce with Hamas, blaming it for violating the terms of the deal after a rocket was reportedly launched from Gaza and intercepted by Israel, the BBC reports.
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, who’s currently on a visit to the Middle East, said yesterday that Israeli officials had told him they intended to resume military operations at some point.
But in doing so, Blinken urged Israel to do put into place “humanitarian civilian protection plans” before going back to war, avoid “further significant displacement of civilians,” avoid damaging critical infrastructure – hospitals, power stations and water facilities.
The truce was initially set to last for four days and extended twice.
As of Thursday, 110 hostages held in Gaza have been released since the truce started on 24 November, while Israel has released 240 Palestinian prisoners.
The Hamas attacks on Israel on 7 October killed 1,200 people. Since then, Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry says more than 14,800 people have been killed in Israel’s retaliatory campaign, including about 6,000 children.