The Central Bank of Armenia has issued a collector coin on the 100th anniversary of the History Museum of Armenia.
The Museum was founded in accordance with law №439 adopted on September 9, 1919 by the Parliament of the first Republic of Armenia. It started on the basis of collections of the Armenian Ethnographical Association of the Caucasus, Nor Nakhijevan Museum of Armenian Antiquities, Museum of Antiquities of Ani, Vagharshapat Repository of Ancient Manuscripts. The first director of the museum was famous ethnologist Yervand Lalayan.
The mission of the Museum is to preserve, replenish, study and publicize museum objects and collections, which represent the history and culture of Armenia and the Armenian people.
It preserves the national collection of around 400 000 objects, which are displayed in the departments of Archeology, Ethnography, Numismatics and Documents and represent an integral picture of the history and culture of Armenia from prehistoric times to our days.
Since 1948, the History Museum has been publishing reports on archeological excavations and scientific works on Armenian architecture, archeology, ethnography and history.
The obverse of the coin depivts objects from the Museum’s collection – “Sculptural group with a chariot” (15th-14th centuries BC, Lori Berd, bronze, № 2728-12), “Figurine of a chamois” (13th-12th centuries BC, Artik, bronze, № 2173-553), “Four-wheeled chariot” (15th-14th centuries BC, Lchashen, wood, №2009-609), “Leather shoe” (Areni-1 Cave Complex, Trench 3, Copper Age, 36th century BC, №3194), “Ornamental plate with the image of a lion” (7th century BC, Karmir Blour, bronze, № 2783-193).
On the reverse are the Museum building (architects – Mark Grigoryan, Eduard Sarapyan) and logotype, an Armenian ornament.