Twin attacks on the Iranian parliament and Ayatollah Khomeini’s mausoleum in the capital, Tehran, have killed at least 12 people and injured many more, the BBC reports.
The assault on the parliament building appears to be over, after earlier reports of a hostage situation. A suicide bomber died at the mausoleum.
Iranian officials say they foiled a third attack.
The so-called Islamic State group (IS) has claimed it carried out the attacks, which would be a first in Iran.
IS later posted a video which showed what it claimed is footage from inside the parliament building.
Iranian media reported that four attackers inside the parliament building had been killed by security forces.
It is not clear whether the death toll of 12 includes the attackers.
Gunmen armed with Kalashnikovs entered the parliament on Wednesday morning.
Reports said the gunmen had entered parliament via a public entrance, dressed as women.
At around 10:40 (06:10 GMT) attackers at the mausoleum in southern Tehran, which is dedicated to the Islamic Republic’s founder Ayatollah Khomeini, opened fire.
The governor of Tehran said one attacker there had detonated a suicide vest and another had been killed by security forces, state broadcaster Irib reports.
Several members of the public, visiting the shrine, have been injured.