At least 33 people have died in Russia after drinking bath essence, authorities said on Monday, the BBC reports.
The hawthorn-scented liquid was consumed as if it were alcohol, according to Russia’s Investigative Committee.
More than 50 people sought medical attention after drinking the product in the Siberian city of Irkutsk over the weekend.
Investigators said a label saying it should not be swallowed was ignored.
The product was found to contain methanol, a toxin found in antifreeze.
Two people have been detained over the deaths and police are removing bottles from shops.