After finally getting a run in the Manchester United first team under, the Armenia international is determined to keep impressing the Portuguese coach.
Henrikh Mkhitaryan says he was at fault for taking longer than expected to earn a first-team berth at Manchester United, not Jose Mourinho.
“There was no bad relation with him [Mourinho], it was always good but the problem wasn’t him, it was me,” he told Sky Sports News.
“Now I understand why I have got my chance and I will keep it, I will hold it, because it is very important for me to play, to be a part of Manchester United.
“I was thinking that I would be here as a starting line-up player but when I arrived I saw that there were 25 players fighting for their place and I understood that it wasn’t going to be easy.
“I had a bad game against Manchester City but that is in the past so I kept working. I have done a great job to get my chance back and I think I did it a really long way until I start playing.”
Mkhitaryan earned a standing ovation after assisting two goals in last month’s 4-1 EFL Cup win over West Ham before turning in another fine performance from the start against Everton on Sunday.
And he hopes to maintain that form and earn a regular place in Mourinho’s plans going forward.