The trial of the man accused of bombing the Boston Marathon two years ago has begun, with his defence lawyer telling the jury he committed the crime, the BBC reports.
“It was him,” the lawyer said as she prepared to defend Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s actions by saying he had been influence by his older brother.
Mr Tsarnaev, 21, could face the death penalty and is charged with more than 30 counts relating to the bombings.
It was the deadliest terror attack on US soil since 9/11.
Speaking before the defence, a federal prosecutor said in opening statements on Wednesday that Tsarnaev had “murder in his heart” when he placed the bomb.
The left side of the court was filled with about two dozen of the attack’s victims as the trial began.
Three people, including an eight-year-old boy, were killed after two pressure cooker bombs packed with nails, ball bearings and other shrapnel detonated in April 2013.
More than 260 people were injured, with many losing limbs.